According to the Internet (which never lies) only 8% of people are successful in keeping their New Years Resolutions. And I have to admit I was *this* close to giving up the fight and joining the other 92% of people who are laughing their faces off while eating the once-forbidden donuts and smoking cigarettes. Or perhaps some of you have forgotten that my New Years Resolution was to start (and keep) a blog.
It’s true. I read other blogs daily and am continually in awe of the creativity and inspiration I’ve gleaned from them. I’m touched at how a strangers honesty can foster a connection with someone I don’t even know. There are some bloggers I can relate to so strongly that I’m often moved to tears while reading their posts. Many of which have inspired me to reach out and contact the person on the other end of the monitor…just to let them know someone else out there understands. And then there’s the bloggers that make my day just by making me laugh out loud.
So looking back, the goal of starting my blog wasn’t to see if I could build readership and be successful. It was to connect like that with other people. To inspire. To share. To document the happenings of my life. I didn’t really care how many people read it, as long as it made a difference to someone. And oftentimes, that someone was me. It became an outlet and it’s been therapeutic in ways I can’t really explain.
It’s for all of those reasons that I put down the donut, stomped out that cigarette and sat back down at my desk (after nearly 1.5 months) to write.
The break has actually given me time to reflect on things in a positive way. I truly do enjoy blogging and want to keep it up! But I have to be realistic with my own expectations. I’m not getting paid for this so it can’t interfere with things that DO. (Duh). But that also means I may not be able to write as much or as often as I want. And that’s ok. There’s a happy-medium out there and I’ll find it!
I’ve also decided that I’m going to try to open myself up more. In the past this blog has focused primarily on adventures and projects….which I love! But it also means I’m putting pressure on myself to DO projects, which can be stressful when things are just so busy with life anyways. Instead I’m hoping to include more posts that are just me….what I’m feeling or thinking about; what I like, what I don’t like, things that are inspiring or moving, or even things that I’m debating over (like this rare post). It’s going to be hard because I’m not the best at communicating feelings like that, but selfishly I think it will be extremely healthy for me to start being more open….instead of always hiding behind my latest sewing project.
I guess what I’m saying is that things might be a little different around here. Instead of always putting together a tutorial of my latest DIY, I’m hoping to include more journalistic posts. That way when I’m having an “off” day, I won’t just blow off my blog, I’ll write about it. Heck, it might even help me get past whatever is bothering me. You hear over and over again how therapeutic writing is and I’m willing to give it a whirl.
Consider this fair warning I suppose. I’ve heard from several people that “reading my blog can be like reading my journal.” So I guess my journal has potential to get a bit juicier from here on out (anyone else picturing me in an advertisement akin to those sexy “Juicy” ones for Desperate Housewives?! Holla!). If you’re not into it and you see a post full of word-vomit, come back again in a few days and I promise you I’ll be back to something more interesting. But since this blog is about me and for me….I am selfishly chosing to use it the way I want.
Of course I’ll still have lots of projects to report on and adventures to share…so none of that will change. In fact, the time off has given me lots of fresh ideas and new DIY things to try that I can’t wait to write about.
And I’m sure all of you are just dying to see how our garden is doing.
So there it is. I chose to be part of the elite 8% that keep their New Years Resolutions. Not because they have to. Because they want to.